Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mucinex Monsters

This was one long day. We started at 7:30 at the hospital getting my port put in. It was quite a process as they use an antibiotic prophylactically through an IV drip and it takes a bit of time. Then after all the explanations and details the doc was ready and they started the happy juice. It is the same stuff they use for colonoscopies, only not as much. It was awesome…just the right amount. My eyes did not want to open, I was cognizant of what was going on but really could have cared less, was able to hear and respond (probably in grunts). I enjoyed it maybe too much…oh well!

After the port was in it took a while to come out of lala land (and I really did not want to). Then they gave me the boot over to the cancer building. I had a blood draw and thought they’d get it from my brand new shiny titanium port…but no! they had to poke me again…and I didn’t get Billy…oh well.
We headed up from there to Dr. Kaplan. We had a really good visit, we were able to ask him our burning questions and I just had an overall  feeling that this was the right place, and the right doctor. It felt good and I felt very ready to take this on. I had imagined how horrible I would feel walking into my first chemo treatment, but I actually felt empowered…finally 21 days after diagnosis I was ready to go.

Today I played the name game with Dr. Kaplan we talked about Andrea (nurse hero) and folks I know that he has treated. When I left today he said something like: I’ve got to get this right or I’ll be hearing from Ms. Westerman.  Ha! That’s right Hank! Eddie’s got my back!

Shasta was my nurse today and you will not be surprised to hear me say how very dear and sweet and lovely she was. Quite young  but very confident about her job. Perfect. She started with saline, and an anti-nausea drip followed by a steroid. At some point she had to flush the saline and put in a sugar water drip with a fancy name (i called it hummingbird juice) and then came the toughy drugs. The first chemo drug looked like orange kool-aid (and she warned me I would pee orange). She had to stay there for 10 minutes and push it into me. Then another line check and the big guy came out…a 2 hour drip. Let’s do this thing!

This morning during the port procedure I was trying to have these positive thoughts and visualizations of the port opening the gateway for the drugs to come in and heal me, but none of my efforts felt quite right. I did it anyway and changed out my visualizations trying to make it fell right (probably cause I was actually in lala land!!). But when I was upstairs for chemo and the drip started happening, I think it was less than 3 minutes and I saw those creepy Musinex monsters (from the commercial, having a party in your nasal passages), I saw them packing up their party and getting the hell out of Dodge. I did not mean to visualize the Musinex guys, actually didn’t want to, cause yuck! But there they were, they made me laugh and I added them to my more “socially appropriate” visualizations!!

My nurse navigator hero, Deb, came by today and ate lunch with us. She was just as lovely and kind and helpful as she had been on the phone. It was nice to meet her. I had an egg salad provided by my chemo folks and Mike went to get an “unwich”; a lettuce wrap from Jimmy Johns. 

In the blood draw room we ran into a couple of folks we know, Mike grew up with them and we see them now and then at weddings and such. Mom has cancer and one of her daughters was there with her. We chatted for a while and then again upstairs. Later another sister came for the changing of the guard. It’s a small world. Everyone has been affected by cancer.

We read our cancer homework, sent texts, emails and checked facebook. I was not really interested in putting in head phones as I wanted to have all my senses available. The time passed…time to go home.

I felt really good heading home, called my mom and put her mind at ease.
Since then I’ve had a few waves of nausea, not too bad. The side effect that is affecting me most is sensitivity to cold. I can’t touch many things without having tingly fingers. My feet tingled even through my socks. I tried to drink plain tap water but it was way too cold and it felt like I had little pebbles in my throat. But I ate a good healthy, warm dinner. I have blankets and can’t touch a dish (oh that’s so sad! Ha!)  Luckily the keyboard is not too cold. Now I’m done. Time to go to bed.

Again, thank you all for your amazing outpouring of support. I know many of you are unable to post here (even if you have a google account) but I’m hearing from so many in so many ways. 
Thanks, thanks and love to you all.
good night

Janet

4 comments:

  1. Let the chemo do its job. Sleep well. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing and brave, Janet! Sounds like you have some excellent professionals looking after you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had known you were at Swedish before I left but know that you have a the best Team there!

    ReplyDelete