Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lessons and Pizza on the Grill

I spent a good deal of the morning on the phone and the computer trying to figure out what to schedule, who to talk to and other bits about our new world. It is time consuming, frustrating and no fun. My first call was to my docs office, they were to set me up with an echocardiogram one day followed by an appointment to get my port installed and have chemo on the next day. I'm ready to go...echocardiogram tomorrow?? Oh no, they insist on having a week to get preauthorization from the insurance company for such things. So, she set me up with appointments for next Wednesday and next Thursday. That seems too long. Carrie was here, she agrees with me...that's too long. 
So, I contacted Deb...is that right, wait a whole week? Yes, they are picky about preauthorizations. Deb also set me up with a social worker to help coordinate some other services; meditation, visualization, etc.  

We took some time this afternoon to escape to Lincoln Park. A nice, hot walk and the kids, Michael, Maggie, Eva and Lillie took a swim.  Mike and I headed to PCC because all of a sudden a spontaneous pizza on the grill night was starting to form. 

On the way home I picked up the phone to call Andrea...I'm still not settled with waiting a week. As I grabbed my phone Andrea called  me...weird! Andrea gave me permission to take matters in my own hand (something I usually don't wait for permission to do...weird...cancer is weird!) and lots of other good advice. So after our conversation I called the insurance company. The nice lady there told me I do not need prior authorization for an echocardiogram!! It was 4:30 by now. I called Dr. Kaplan's office and talked to a different person. She tried to tell me that a week was ok, even not needing prior authorization.  I begged to differ, with this diagnosis, a week is a year! She heard me. I'm hoping tomorrow morning I get the whole thing moved up. We've been patient and waiting long enough. 

So that was my lesson...sometimes, even with all these good folks around, I just need to take matters into my own hands!

Now onto the pizza...we had 13 adults and 2kids on the deck for delicious pizza on the grill! Yum, the best! It was a fabulous evening!

Good night, more lessons tomorrow, I'm quite sure!

Thank you all for your loving kindness and support. I feel well loved.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, makes me mad!!! Why is it set up that you have to push so hard? Why do you have to use your energy that way? That makes me mad. Good for you, taking matters into your own hands - Go Janet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone is capable of taking things into her own hands, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your story and sending all my best thoughts, prayers, wishes and mostly love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete