Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Sweetest Gift
I was not planning on posting again until after Christmas…but I was not planning on having the sweetest thing ever happen right in my front yard!!

Last night Maggie was planning to head out with Katy for movie night…Katy was picking her up about 6:30, and oh, by the way she’ll probably want to come in to say hello…well of course! I hope so! I wouldn’t have it any other way…We love Katy!

So Mike and I are caught completely off guard when Maggie peeks into the living room with tears in her eyes about 6:30. “Mom, come to the door…you better turn off the TV.”  What is it? We hear a little mumbling, a cough or two. We see small beacons of light flashing across the front door window. Maggie is tearful but excited and peeks out the door…not ready yet! What is this? 

Then we hear many voices…”We wish you a merry Christmas…” and open the door to a front yard full of cheery carolers. There were more than 30 people in our front yard singing to us! Most of them 2nd graders who were my K’s and 1st graders the last two years, and their siblings and their parents. The sweetest thing I have ever seen and heard. Could their be a sweeter gift? Who does this anymore?? It was simply a healing tonic of love! Oh my, I wish you could have been there!

They sang a number of songs, I hugged every person there and then they sang some more.
They also gifted me with 2 tiles, a part of a fundraiser to build our new playground at Pathfinder. One says “Just keep swimming!” and the second tile says, in part, “I see salmon return every summer.” The second tile is a quote from a song we learn to sing and sign about an enormous tree that is about to get cut down (The Tree, by Dana Lyons). It’s a great, emotional song that is a part of the fabric of our classroom. I think every kid who has ever been in the Salmon Clan could tell you the story of that song! Putting that line on a tile on the playground is perfect! I thank you Salmon Clan 12-14! You are an amazing group of families and I love you all so much! Thank you for the sweetest gift!

Love and light,
Janet


PS Maggie is a really good secret keeper!

4 comments:

  1. It was hard reading this out loud to Jim...I had to stop to wait for the lump in my throat to subside and to wipe tears streaming down my cheeks.
    thanks for sharing your gift- probably unbeknownst to all those children and family members, it was a gift to all whose lives you've touched and that are reading this blog. Janet and Mike, you are truly gifts to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure love returned. What a wonderful gift. Here's to a cancer-free new year and a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so much sweetness, could not be more deserved!
    lina

    ReplyDelete