Monday, December 22, 2014

No getting around it…the holidays are tough…

I’m trying hard to keep my positive outlook and perspective on my situation. I really am blessed in so many ways, with family, friends, amazing medical opportunities…we have food and clean water and shelter, we have all we need.  I have grown children who love me and care for me and Mike. We have amazing friends who are just going above and beyond to take care of us. Truly we are blessed… And yet, these holidays just make me want more, or is it less… I want it to be how it used to be.

It’s going to be more difficult than usual, I think, to stay present and in the moment during this holiday season. It is so easy to get melancholy this time of year. So, as usual, it is finding the balance. I want to embrace my sadness and melancholy, I want to love it and let it go...but hold on tight to the love. I want to live in each moment with my family and friends this season. I am here, I am strong and actually healthy if you can overlook the cancer part. And I am looking forward to a healthier, stronger future. 

Yesterday was the winter solstice. The earth has tilted and we will be gaining light every day! I’m taking this as an opportunity to move forward, away from diagnosis and early cancer and move toward health and healing, straight and vitality.

We have full days ahead of us in our family, we have quite a few traditions that we’ll be enjoying around here, and who knows we may start some new traditions. We are always open for that possibility! 

I can honestly say I feel reasonably strong these days and I can honestly add that it is in great part because of the love and support I get from you, my family, my friends, my community near and far. I am feeling hopeful and grateful and am looking to the light!
All the blessings of the season to you and yours.
Happy Holidays
Love

Janet

2 comments:

  1. Absorb all those hugs and all that love. Love you, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. There is not getting around it. Having been diagnosed with cancer right when you were about to head to Ireland sucks. Having to deal with all of the medical issues that go with that disease sucks. Staying positive is great AND sometimes it's just okay to say that it sucks to be doing this when you'd rather be doing that. You get to feel all of your feelings -- melancholy, sad, happy, blessed, strong, good, happy, grateful, bummed, befuddled, and so on. And guess what? We all love you whether you are present or if you are grieving or if you are laughing or if you are day dreaming. You get to be YOU -- no questions asked. Stay present when YOU feel like it. Be melancholy and grieve the fact that life is not the same as it was. It's okay to grieve. It's probably good to grieve. You get to be you. Remember that. No questions asked. Loved unconditionally. Ciao. Merry Christmas but only when you feel merry.

    ReplyDelete