Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Betty!


Sunday was Betty's birthday and we had a great weekend. Saturday morning Michael and Eva came up from Portland. That night Mike and Michael went to the Husky game and Betty, Gillian, Eva and Maggie and I went to the movie, Dear White Person. It was quite hilarious and clever. There was a group of about 7 or 8 young men right behind us, maybe late 20's, early 30's and they were laughing so hard at times it was difficult to hear the movie... I think they made us laugh almost as much as the movie.

Sunday night we had 12 people here for a birthday dinner! 12 people! We had a lovely dinner, cake and ice cream and a good time! Luckily I had good energy that day and lots of help! At one point in the kitchen we had the 4 available counter spaces occupied by Michael, Maggie, Eva and me! Cutting, chopping, mixing....it was a very busy and very good day. I was so happy to have that kind of energy to celebrate Betty's day! Happy Birthday, Betty!

BOOKS
I've been lucky to have a series of good books to read. I've already told you about Boys in the Boat and All the Light We Cannot See...both so great! Next I read a mystery: No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I really enjoyed that more than I thought I would as I normally do not read mysteries.
Now I'm deep in the next great novel: The Tale of Edgar Sawtelle, I love this story and am staying up too late reading!

FOOD
I talk with the dietician weekly and continue to take baby steps to a full menu. Yesterday we added a grain...brown rice and veggies, cooked greens! Yippee! The only green I've had are canned green beans, and really, does that count as a vegetable? I started right away with wilted spinach last night for dinner. That made me so happy!! I also get to add canned or cooked tomatoes and any herb/spice other than chilies and peppers.

So, cancer sucks.
Gastric cancer really sucks. It's starting to sink in how terrible this cancer is. It's a fine line to have information, to be informed, to be prepared AND to focus on the positive and BE positive. I know it is ok to be sad and have my down times...and I do, but I sure don't want to stay there!  I've found survivor stories on line and I try to keep those in mind every time I read some terrible statistic. I've been looking at discussion groups and blogs and there is not a lot of us out there. I do have one connection in Seattle, Gaby, we email but have not yet met. She works with Jodi, from my last years Salmon Clan, and is friends with Eddie, from Salmon long ago and with Glenda who was my student teacher! Small world! Anyway, it is nice to have someone I "know" to email with. She is having a fund raiser for gastric cancer research in November and I'll let you all know about that when I know more.

But, right now, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm building energy and stamina everyday. Working out in the morning, errands or projects for a bit each afternoon. I am 2 weeks from my last chemo and one week until the next. I know that the first week after chemo is tricky, so I'm double enjoying my good energy right now.  I'm hoping Dr. Kaplan will schedule a scan as I am more than a little curious about what is going on in there!

You all continue to pour on the support. I was telling Lisa D how frustrated I was that I could not paint my bathroom this summer, then I planned to do so in September...well, September disappeared and the bathroom remained unpainted. So guess what is happening right now??? Lisa's husband Matt is in there painting...right now. Really! That is so very kind and generous! Thank you, thank you!

All the spots on the meal train are filled up and we've been spoiled with delicious food from  you all. After my next scan we'll decide if we need to continue the meal train into December or if we can put that on hold for now.

Thank you all for every bit of this love and support!
Janet

2 comments:

  1. Yum wilted spinach! I want some of that. Keep of the PMA Janet. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear your positive voice. Marcus and Tala say HI! - Eunice

    ReplyDelete