Thursday, September 25, 2014

I'm still here! I can't believe I'm still in the hospital....but alas, here I am. It's still a bit of a puzzle what is going on here; they are not completely sure what or why this happened with my guts. They could not find any bugs or disease, it is kind of by default that it is a side effect of the chemo, but that is really what makes the most sense to us. Yesterday morning the doctor said he still wasn't convinced, but the fact is, here I am.

I feel fine, no pain, no cramping, so that is the good news.  The bad news is without medication I just can't stop having diarrhea. It's not a lot, it is actually just small amounts, but there it is. 

I don't really remember my first week here, I was very ill and out of it. I'm not actually even sure when I started to come around, but at that point I definitely had cramping and pain and lots of  pooping. Now there is no pain, no cramping, just bits of the D word. Two days ago they took me off food and it seems to have been the right move. I was not eating much, actually just small amounts of very healthy food, but it seems no food was the right way to go. I'm improving but it is definitely up and down, still. I think a few more days with no food will really start to let my guts heal. 

That is where we are now....kind of a waiting game at this point. Don't eat...heal the gut...be patient. But 18 days in the hospital (and still counting)...we did not predict this!

I cannot thank you all enough for the support you have given to our family to get through this turn in the road. It has thrown us for a loop and so many of you have been here in so many ways to help catch us and not let us fall. I'm so grateful for you all.

And if I can figure out how to post this from my ipad at the hospital then you all know I'm making some kind of progress!!

Love to you all from the 12 floor!

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell you what a relief it is to hear your 'voice' Janet! Sending gut healing vibes your way. Go away D word, come back healthy gut. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the mother goddess for iPads - I agree with Gillian it is so good to hear your "voice"! We are sending you so much good juju. In addition to healing your gut, I hope you are keeping your mind sharp and finding some outlets to occupy your thinking while in the hospital. When I was in the hospital on bed rest with the twins, I watched the entire Sex and the City series. I can't hear the show's theme song without mentally going back to that time in my life - it's a positive association. I hope you are finding the right things to associate with an otherwise trying time and that you're sunshininess is bright. After all it's your gut that has cancer, not the part of you that is so good in finding joy and positivity! Best wishes for nothing but a complete recovery and safe return home with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet - So good to hear "Your Voice"!! Sending healing thoughts and prayers to the 12th floor. Hugs for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie did a great job pinch-hitting for you on the blog, but I gotta agree with the others, it was just unsettling to not hear from YOU. Glad you're back! Sending good thoughts for continued healing your way. Hope you get to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a relief to hear your voice, as others have said. My tv prescription to feed your soul as you wait this out is Moone Boy, if you haven't already seen it. It is easy to watch on an ipad; I'll share my hulu with you if you don't have it. Let me know. Also, make sure Maggie lets you try on her new hat! It was grand fun to make. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to hear from you. We are holding you up! Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, when I was in chemo hell, it was watching Meryl and company in Mamma Mia. It brings me right back. JANET!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay. We love you. We love you whether home or in the hospital. Here's the thing about the stupid hospital, it's a pain in the butt but imagine dealing with this at home without knowing what the heck was going on. Even IN the hospital they can't figure it out -- imagine what we'd be doing to try to figure this out without all of those fabulous health care peeps. We want you home when it's time but not before you the D word Disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edit out that "you" in there is you can....

    ReplyDelete