Friday, May 6, 2016

Long Time No Blog
part one Kansas City...a nice place to start...

Between work and pain and so much going on I’ve had no energy or time to blog. There has been a lot happening and it may take awhile to catch up, 

So where was I…oh yes, Kansas City
I had a lovely, low key, visit to KC. I spent most of the time hanging out with my mom in the family room in my spot on the couch. It is one of my happy spots. I was happy to be there with no pressure; nothing I had to do, no place I had to go, just chillin’. 

I have a couple of very artistically talented cousins (all my cousins are talented in one way or another…not putting anyone down, now!) and I had a little time with each of them. My cousin Jim is a painter. He paints on location in different spots around KC. He particularly likes to paint places where the industrial world meets the natural world, especially older buildings/factories. His paintings are beautiful and he is a careful, thoughtful painter. I got to see one of his pieces that he had in the back of his car. He has shows now and then, but he is methodical and takes his time finishing his work. According to his mom and sister, he is also extremely “picky” about what he thinks is “good enough” to sell,  so his shows are few and far between. I enjoyed seeing even just one piece of his work and having a little time to talk to him about his work.

Another cousin, Susan, and her daughter Sally have a studio where they create the most wonderful chicken footstools you could ever imagine…have you ever imagined a chicken foot stool? Well, these are likely far better than what you just imagined. This started with a project Sally had to complete in one of her art classes in school. It was so cool and so well received they made a business out of it. Recently they have been making them out of their homes around KC but just prior to my visit they were getting settled into a studio at 43rd (I think) and State Line (on the Missouri side). We were fortunate to catch them at their studio and watch them in progress. The birds are unique and fabulous. They are made of a wooden egg in the center, cast bronze (I think) feet and beak and then felt from wool they have spun, dyed and felted by hand. Each one is unique and wonderful. You can find them on Instagram at thecitygirlfarm or you can google them. I bet there is a Facebook page (I’m just not a big facebooker these days). If you like whimsical unique furniture or fiber art, you would love to see these chickens!

We did the usual Wednesday "meeting" with aunts, cousins and friends at Starbucks on Wednesday and the usual bowling with Matthew on Saturday followed by BBQ at BB's Lawnside...yum! I got some extra time with Aunt Rose Evelyn at Andre's and Aunt Joann at the Black Dog Cafe. I got some time with my brother, Paul and my sweet niece Jennifer. 

So, KC was good! Matthew was a little disappointed that I did not have the energy to run around with him like I usually try to do. No extra trips to Target or to the movie; sorry Matt, maybe next time!

That’s all for Long Time No Blog, part 1. This weekend I’ll update y’all about my health and my work.

Love to you all
Janet


No comments:

Post a Comment