Sunday, May 22, 2016

Good News

The short story is they have found no cause for the pain and the pain is diminishing everyday!
I guess that is absolutely the best possible outcome I could hope for. 

I had a CT scan (way back in April) that showed the tumors targeted by the Y90 were shrinking and they saw no cause for pain. Then an MRI, a bone scan and finally an endoscopy that all showed nothing. The 2 biopsies removed during the endoscopy were benign, “no worrisome findings!” Ok, I’ll take that!

The pain changed dramatically right after the endoscopy and has continued to change gradually since then. Prior to the endoscopy I had writhing pain, mostly in my chest/sternum. After the endoscopy the pain continued in the same spot at times, less painful, and usually a quick jab versus long drawn out pain. But, most of the pain started feeling more like nerve pain in my back, wrapping around my trunk; that jittery kind of nerve pain. Sometimes it would last a while, sometimes it was fleeting. There was no predicting but, the pain was definitely much less. Since the endoscopy I have not had to take dilauded even once. I was on morphine 3 times a day and I am weaning my self off of that. The last few days I’ve had some jabbing nerve pain that is usually in reaction to some movement I’ve made. For instance, the other day I was trying to go for a walk and with each step I felt a little jab in my sternum. Or I bumped into something and then had a nerve reaction in my back. It is like my nerves are on edge at times. I am going through the world “gingerly” so as not to upset my nervous system…weird! But it is working.

Last week I had massage therapy, physical therapy and acupuncture.  I've also found a little success with the 1:1 tincture of thc and cbd. I am determined to get rid of this nerve pain in the least intrusive way possible. My wonderful doctor of cancer (and he knows cancer, for sure) has suggested nerve blocks or nerve pain pills. Well, I would do those things if all else failed, but they are not going to be my go to solution.

Now it is Sunday. Friday night I slept 12 hours!! Last night I slept 10 hours and that seems to absolutely be the best thing I can do for me body. My nerve pain is significantly improved. I would say in the last 24 hours I’ve had one or two moments of slight nerve pain…almost nothing, almost gone!


Was the endoscopy a cure? Was that a coincidence? We have many theories, but it doesn’t really matter. I’m doing pretty darn good!


Thursday was Mike's birthday. The kids came over and we had a yummy BBQ dinner. I slow cooked a pork shoulder from PCC all day and it was the yummiest pork and had the least amount of fat than any pork shoulder I've ever cooked before! We had a great celebration!

Friday I joined my class, my sub and many parents on an extra special field trip to Tillicum Village on Blake Island in the Puget Sound. We met at 8:00 down at Alki to take the water taxi across Elliot Bay. We walked up to Pier 55, waited awhile, then boarded the Argosy tour boat: Spirit of Seattle to cruise out into the Puget Sound and over to Blake Island. On Blake Island is Tillicum Village, lovely beaches and trails, camping and picnic areas. No roads, cars, really nothing else! At Tillicum Village we ate a delicious alder roasted/smoked salmon lunch and watched an awesome Native American show with singing, dancing and story telling. It was great to see the kids, their hugs are like a good drug for me. They are clever, funny and such good friends to each other. I loved spending the day with them.

Yesterday we joined with our neighbors, had some friends over and had a pizza party. Some of the best pizza's yet. We are getting really good at this! Lizzie has perfected a dough recipe and I am close behind... I"m going to give my recipe one more tweak and one more try then I'm just going to use her recipe. We have such a great variety of toppings and the pizza combinations never end! YUMMY!

To say I'm pooped out, is an understatement! Today, my big plan is to post this blog and watch the last two episodes of the last season of Friday Night Lights. I've enjoyed that show very much. I'm going to take a break before I start a new series. I'm feeling pretty good right now so I'm going to make my way through a few books I've got lined up before I let myself veg out on another series.

Next weekend one of my nieces from Colorado, Lucy is coming to visit with her husband Stephen and their 3 (nearly 4) year old Hunter. I'm looking forward to having them here. We'll have a grand time. I just hope I'm feeling as good or even better than now, and I don't know why I wouldn't!

Have a great week.
Go gingerly through your day!
Love to you all
Janet

3 comments:

  1. Such wonderful news Janet! I've been waiting and hoping for this news these last several weeks~to hear that your pain is diminishing & your body healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet. I'm so pleased to hear all about your journey. In sending you all of my love and tenderness. Also. I loved Friday Night Lights!

    ReplyDelete