Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year!
I hope this blog post finds you enjoying the new year.
We didn’t get a holiday card out this year, but if we had…this is what it would have looked like…
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

That is our family at the Pike Place Market on Christmas Eve, a tradition that we have kept yearly since Michael was a baby. We usually go with only a few tasty treats to buy for the holiday gatherings. We enjoy lunch together and the good vibe the Market has to offer. Back in the day the Market was nearly empty on Christmas Eve, that is not the case anymore. It is quite a busy spot the day before Christmas.

What a difference a year can make.  Last year we kept up our traditions and I made it to and through all the events, but looking back, oh my gosh, I was miserable and so scared. So afraid it was my last; my last 
Thanksgiving, my last Christmas, my last birthday and New Year’s Day. This year I feel like an ex con must feel…free! Freedom! I have felt so happy and light; giddy at times. My birthday, to me was the biggest difference. Last year, and I remember writing about this, I cried all day. I cried through dinner and cake and presents. This year I had a fabulous day. I woke up early and went to bed late, a few friends came over for coffee in the morning.  Maggie, Michael, Eva, Mike and Betty fixed me a fabulous dinner.  I enjoyed every second of the day. I feel like a different person. And now it is a new year; a cancer free year!

A Health Update
Here is what I know about heart failure:
They measure something called the ejection fraction which has something to do with how strong the heart squeezes. A “normal” ejection fraction is about 55%. With heart failure your ejection fraction does not improve quickly, if at all. It is not something that just changes over night.

When I had heart failure my ejection fraction was at 35% which is considered advanced heart failure. The first day of break I had an echocardiogram, it measured my ejection fraction at 45%! This is so much better than we would have expected this quickly. I have not seen my doc yet, and won’t get to until February, but the nurse that called me was very excited with this progress. I continue to take 3 heart meds, keep my sodium low and my fluids limited, and do a cardio routine 5-6 days a week. I guess it’s working! Cause for celebration!

I also had a fasting blood draw over break and all those numbers look good, too. Kidneys are at risk with the fluid/sodium balance being tricky and my kidneys look good. Everything else is ok, too! So…here I am, 2016; starting from a place of health!

January 15 I have my next scan to make sure that cancer is still at bay. I’ll be sure and post after we get the results. In the meantime, I’ll be taking many deep breaths, keeping the anxiety in check. 

We head back to school tomorrow. First graders in January are a little bit of a treat. All the work from the fall has had time to simmer and settle. They’ve missed each other and maybe even me, just a little bit. They are happy to be back and I’ll be happy to see them.

I hope you are well and ready to take on this new year.
Lots of love from me and my family!

Janet

Lunch at the Market



Lunch at the Market



After Book of Mormon



New Year's Eve




HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Thank you Betty for the beautiful cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment