Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Feeling fine and waiting for the scan…

It’s a scan to scan life these days. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks from my last chemo, so I’m feeling pretty good. I managed to stay healthy and avoid a cold this time around so I feel really fortunate to have so many good days in a row. And with the wig I’m wanting to do more and start a more “normal” life. It feels good. I still have to pace myself, I do not have my energy, but I do have the desire to get  out of this house and back to life. That is a good sign! 

As you might recall I had a CT scan early in March. The results were good but inconclusive so Dr. Kaplan ordered a PET scan to get more detail. I had a PET scan on March 12. This was the scan that gave us the great news that the cancer was gone from my stomach and pancreas and there was just a bit left on the liver. He ordered 2 more rounds of chemo and then planned to order  another scan to see if I might be in remission. I’ve had those 2 rounds of chemo and scheduled a PET scan for May 15. Today I learned that the insurance company will only allow a CT scan. Dr. Kaplan’s office is officially appealing the decision but it will take 30 days from the time all the paper work for the appeal is completed and turned into the insurance company. So, on May 15 I will have a CT scan, not a PET scan and hope that the scan is conclusive this time. It’s a waiting game.

Today I officially signed up for the June 7 Shore Run for Fred Hutchison Cancer Research center. I blew it and missed the deadline for the earliest registration to save $5 but oh well. If you want to sign up and join me on Gaby’s team follow this link. 


The team’s name is Stomp Out Stomach Cancer and the team captain is Ari.
Just fyi, I signed up for the 5K walk but there is an option for a 10K run. Gaby says if you want to donate to Fred Hutch she suggests you bring a check the day of the event, as there is a fee to donate online. Of course there is the registration fee for the event and any donation is optional. I know several folks said they were interested in this event, so I’m looking forward to walking with you, my friends! We’ll have to figure out how to find each other. I’ll let you know if Gaby already has a plan for that. 

My sister Kathy and her husband Mickey are driving into town today. Mickey is recently retired and they are road tripping it in May! They are from Boulder and took some time getting over to the West coast. Today they are driving up from Oregon and they will be here through the weekend. Michael is coming up this weekend and Maggie will be around so I am looking forward to some good family time.

Happy Mother’s Day to all you mom’s out there. And lots of love to you all.

Janet

4 comments:

  1. http://www.boredpanda.com/empathy-cards-cancer-postcards-serious-illness-emily-mcdowell/
    Just saying. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Eddie, fabulous cards...if I had to pick one, don't know which would be the best...maybe the one about the journey or cures on the internet...they are spot on, aren't they! Love you, Eddie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping and praying you will get your pet scan on time!
    What a fun spring break you had.....we always hit Winsteads and BBQ in KC too! It's not a trip home unless you have them both.😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, Marsena! And if everyone doesn't go with me, I have to bring sauce home! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete