Thursday, May 28, 2015

The challenge that is chemo recovery….

I am surprised every time about how long it takes me to remember what recovering from chemo is like…
I think I know.
I think I’m an expert.
Then I’m blindsided, weepy.
Then once again on Monday I’m better and surprised by how good I feel.
The steroids are the culprit.
Steroids with chemo on Tuesday
3 tabs Wednesday
2 tabs Tuesday
1 tab Friday… feeling pretty good.
Saturday; I felt good yesterday…now it’s Saturday, I can do anything…
for about 30 minutes…Then I’m pissed and I just keep going. Then I hit the wall, then I cry. Saturday and Sunday are for crying.

Then it’s Monday and I fell so much better and it all comes back to me how I just have to wait until Monday to feel better. You all know this, you’ve read it time and again! I never knew how stubborn I was until I got cancer.

I have a strategy for next round of chemo. On Saturday and Sunday, after chemo,  I’m going to have a Harry Potter marathon. I’m going to watch every one of them in a row and then if I finish early, I’ll repeat my favorites. I’d invite you all to join me but it is my quarantine period. Michael and Maggie will be in Portland that weekend sending off our dear, dear Nora back to the East coast. Lizzy our neighbor (June’s mom) is a big Harry Potter fan, so if they are all healthy and she can get away, I know she’ll come join me for one or more!

But now it is Thursday and I’m feeling pretty good. In fact I’ve felt very good this week and each day since Monday have taken a progressively longer walk, preparing for tomorrow’s big Make-a-Wish run with Lou! The weather is gorgeous and it should be a fabulous day celebrating Lou and all he has done for Pathfinder and the Make-a-Wish Foundation. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Mike took Wilson in on Saturday to remove a growth from his hind leg. We knew it was some kind of tumor, it was ugly and growing and changing. It needed to be removed. We got word from the vet on Tuesday that it is no big deal…not cancer…just a funky growth. So….ppphhhheewwwwssssshhhh…a little too close of a call for our family!

Wishing you no close calls…a healthy and beautiful day…and lots of love!

Janet 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Janet! I have been following your blog, and was hoping to see you on Fri. at Pathfinder, but must have just missed you, I went down there in between my classes! Even though I disappeared from the PF scene, I still miss the loving community at PF so much , and all the great people, including you, I think of you often!! I loved seeing all my old friends, and kids that I've known for awhile , lots of hugs, and wonderful Lou!I I also wanted to send some love your way, and happy to hear you seem to be fighting hard, and doing well! Wow, I really admire your strength!! I'm glad to hear you get to take your trip to Ireland this summer! I hope you have an awesome time, wishing you the best always!! Love, Suzanne P.S. I especially wanted to see the 8th graders.....i had planned on coming to 8th grade graduation, but TOPS is on the same night, and I probably should be at that one since I now teach there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I missed you, Suzanne. It was a great event, wasn't it! Hope your year at TOPS went well. I planned to be at 8th grade graduation, too, but I have chemo on Tuesday, so, not sure I'll be able to make it. I might sneak into the back just to watch and listen and cry. Love those 8th graders!!! I got so many hugs from them on Friday...but you know all about their hugs! Have a great summer and thanks for all your positive energy and wishes.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete