Monday, May 18, 2015


That was a set back, but I’m regaining my footing. How does one stay positive, keep up positive visualizations, and yet protect oneself when the reality does not match the positive vision? I’m figuring that out. It’s a rocky road for sure.

Here is a no wig, cap only, Trader Joe story from earlier last week…
I had a grocery cart full of goodies getting ready for the weekend pizza party and birthday celebration for Mike. My checkout girl had just started ringing up my groceries and I had just started bagging them, and I don't think she had really looked up at me yet. I was gently nudged from behind by my old friend Connie H. I taught all 3 of Connie’s kids (her oldest the same age as Maggie) and Connie is a breast cancer survivor. She asked how I was doing, commented on my progress as she reads my blog and in our greetings it registered with my checkout girl that I had cancer. She asked if I’d gone through cancer treatment. Oh, do you mind if I ask?
No, I don’t mind at all (I don’t…I’d much rather talk about it than pretend I don’t have it when it is as obvious as the stubble on my head) 
Yes, I have cancer and am still going through treatment, or I might be done, I’ll  find out on Friday.
Do you mind if I ask what kind? 
No, of course not, stomach cancer.
She said, My dad had cancer, he’s doing great. I have a friend, 23 years old who had cancer, got through treatment, the cancer went away and it has now reoccured.
I said, 23 years old and you’ve already gotten rid of cancer once and it’s back. Now that sucks!
There was a lot more to the conversation; we talked about the kind of cancer her dad and her friend had, we talked about her name and her hair, Connie’s daughter is also named Holly and has curly hair, too!
She was very dear, very sweet. I noticed the woman in the line behind us smiling, even though our conversation was definitely slowing the checkout process down.
Then as I started to leave, she gave me a hug. So, so, sweet, and dear. She made me cry. Connie walked me to my car and took the cart afterwards. 

I love exchanges with kind people, with or without a wig!

Epic Pizza
That is what I would call our pizza parlor if we opened one in our front yard. That is what happened here Saturday night…Epic Pizza. I couldn’t tell you how many people or toppings we had or how many pizzas went into and out of the oven, but it was a fabulous time! Thanks to all for helping celebrate Vince’s return to Seattle and the May birthdays!

Our weekend continued with brunch on Sunday (we almost always do brunch with our Portland people and rarely do it without them…there is something about Portland and brunch…they just go together). Mike and I enjoyed our time with six 20 somethings through brunch and then Betty joined us for a birthday celebration for Mike. The nearly flourless dark chocolate cake that I make for many a birthday actually tasted good to me again! Yum-O. Mike, of course, liked it, too! It’s a favorite around here.

Then after the house cleared, Mike and I ended our evening with a dinner and walk down at Alki. Not a novel idea; the place was packed, but for good reason! What a beautiful evening for the beach! 

A beautiful day today and I’m getting my head around chemo tomorrow.
Much love to you all

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment