Saturday, August 9, 2014

Praying for a Passover

With all due respect to my Jewish friends I’ve been praying for years for a kind of Passover. In 5th grade Maggie made a little clay woman/girl with a maroon dress and blue eyes. She never got the hair on her and wanted to toss her when she brought it home. Well, I don’t think so! This is fine art! A treasure! I’ve kept this girl with no hair in our bedroom, on a dresser and dust her every two weeks with all my other treasures. Every two weeks as I’ve dusted her I’ve given up a little prayer to the cancer gods that they pass me by. She became a talisman of sorts. And even up to yesterday, though I do have cancer, I wasn’t feeling nauseous, so I was thinking…deep down…cause you can’t say it out loud…maybe it won’t fall out. I know it’s just hair, I know it will grow back…but damn. It’s coming out. Not in chunks but in small handfuls for sure, 7,8,9 strands at a time, repeatedly. Every time I run my hand through my hair, hair will come out. I slept in a cap (thanks Anita!!) so I wouldn’t wake up with it all over the bed. Today I wore a short pony tail so I’d resist skimming my hand through my hair and counting the strands. I have not been passed over.

Jennifer and I went to get our toes done this morning (thanks Turtle and Salmon families for our gift certificates!!!). She brought me a hat. It fit right over my little pony tail, it’s soft and quite comfortable. It is a tannish-brownish color and she appliquéd a darling flower onto it! I love it!
Yesterday Missa and Lisa D dropped by and Missa had knit me a hat, it’s adorable and is my one of my favorite shades of green. It is also soft, made from cotton, silk and bamboo! I love my new hats and I will wear them and try to leave the house.

My goal is to keep hold of as many strands as I can until Monday evening. I have plans both tomorrow and Monday and would love to have hair. Tuesday I have chemo, I’ll be in good company there with no hair. Wish me luck!


love to you all
Janet

4 comments:

  1. My sweet Auntie J. This is just another step in a very challenging journey. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, no passover, that sucks. I'm so sorry, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you daily! -Katie (Chase & Callan's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I am thinking you might have to embrace your baldness. I think we talked about this being step one. When your eyelashes and eyebrows fall out, you can literally DRAW your mood on with an eye pencil. Feeling grouchy? Draw on eyebrows to match. Feeling happy, thick Groucho eyebrows would be good. Feeling sad? Angry? You get where I am going. Also, six years after chemo, I still have extremely curly hair. Prepare for renewal on your scalp. You'll look like Shirley Temple when your hair comes in again. You don't have to shave your legs (or underarms) for a while. Okay, just trying to make lemonade. Love you.

    ReplyDelete