Monday, August 25, 2014

Hair schmair…who cares! That is where I’m headed…almost there. I’m going out right and left with a hat or two on. Almost ready to go full Sinead O’Conner!

We went to Eddie and Bre’s wedding on Saturday night. A week ago I really did not think I could do it, emotionally. I’m such a cryer, as so many of you know. And weddings really do me in. I’m finding that cancer is making me cry, too. So cancer and a wedding at the same time, I just didn’t know if I could do it. But, with the help of Tracy’s wig and the support of my dear family, to the wedding we did go! It was beautiful. They were married at the Seattle Aquarium, a magical place for a wedding. Betty’s brother, Big Eddie and the rest of Little Eddie’s family came to town from Florida. Betty’s sisters Mary Lee and Julie along with Julie’s husband, Chris came from Kansas City.  When it was time to dance I started to cry…dancing makes me cry too, I guess. Well, Mary Lee went all hysterical on me, hugging me and screaming and it just made me laugh so hard and then we all ended up dancing and dancing… Michael Jackson, B-52s, Lady Gaga and more! I’m still recovering! A little Mary Lee hysteria was all I needed to get over the hump. Congratulations Eddie and Bre, you are adorable, you are beautiful, you are loved. May you have a long and loving life together!

Speaking of love…Friday night we had a reunion of sorts with our old friends that we worked with many years ago at the EEU. There are 4 families who have stayed in touch more and/or less over all these years. When our kids were growing up we camped every year at either Mt. St. Helen’s or Mt. Rainier.  We also celebrated high school and college graduations together. Debbie planned a lovely dinner for us all at their house. Jeff mixed cocktails and manned the grill. Debbie made 2 unbelievable pies and the Blacks, Stranges and Pools all added to the meal as well. I was blown away by their show of support and love. They gave us cards and a gift basket filled with books, magazines, socks, scarves, goodies and more. I was overwhelmed with it all. 

And then more love, on Saturday morning my friends Roz and Susan came over with a surprise. Inspired by the salmon theme they are making little shrinky dink salmon that say Fuck Cancer on the back. Now Susan had no idea that shrinky dink salmon are my thing… I make one for each of my students at the end of every year. Roz’s twins were in my class but Roz didn’t remember about the shrinky dinks..at least not consciously. So they made these for me to wear or to pass out to others. Such a sweet gesture. Livvy and Sophie, seniors this year, along with other friends helped create these little treasures. This gesture of love following the Friday night love fest just put me over the edge. It made me weep.

All the outpouring of love and support has been so amazing to me and to Mike and sometimes a little overwhelming. I feel inadequate. I feel that I have not been there for others like you all are for me. I vow to kick cancer’s ass just so I can give back and act upon these lessons I’m learning. I shall not let these lessons go to waste!

Rudy update: She is not doing so well. She still perks up for our walks around the block but she is eating less and less. We’re jumping through hoops to get her to eat anything at all. 


Today is a day of rest. It was an exhausting weekend and I’m happy to have this quiet day at home, just me and Rudy.

Love and blessings to you all.

Janet

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, Eva's mom here...I am trying to figure out how to post a comment! Hope this works.
    I'm visiting my mom in New Bedford. She's 91 years old and can't see well so I read her this blog post. She loved the story about the shrinky dink salmon! She used to be an elementary school secretary and so she really enjoyed picturing the prize salmon you made for your kids.
    Take care....betsy sharf and Mamu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! We were so happy you came to the wedding and had a great time! Especially since you, Betty, and Mike helped make this happen by enticing me with the allure of Seattle ☺

    You guys were awesome with the dancing and I have a feeling some of those moments may have been captured by the photographers (don’t worry, you looked GREAT). It takes a while for them to process, but I will let you know when we get them.

    Thank you so much for the congratulations and the well wishes!

    We are done with the honeymoon, back to work, and settled with most of the paper work – SO now it is time to give back. Please let us know anything we can do to help out including food, chores, etc.!

    ReplyDelete