Saturday, August 2, 2014

Cancer is a Full Time Job
Those are the words that keep going through my head…as we are stuck in traffic headed to Bastyr in Fremont…as I wind my way through the maze that is the Swedish complex…as I work to remember to take my turkey tail mushrooms BEFORE breakfast and dinner…as I force myself onto the spin bike late in the afternoon if I’ve had no other form of exercise that day…cancer is a full time job. And, I couldn’t do this without Mike. He is taking on more than his fair share and with gusto! Mike can cook...who knew??

I was warned the melatonin could give me nightmares, and so it did. My first teacher nightmare of the summer, a classic! 20 minutes before kids arrive for the first day of school and I have not even one idea or plan of what I’m going to do. I find myself sorting through a basket of wire preparing for a complex art project, looking at the clock and thinking,”I should probably not be spending this time sorting through wire.” So funny how teachers spend their sleeping hours as the school year approaches!

I was not warned that the melatonin might give me headaches. I got a migraine in the wee hours of Friday morning. It was a doozy and left me feeling a little hung over all day Friday. I cut back to 3 mg last night; no headache, no teacher nightmares!

There have been so many coincidences through this ordeal. Ginny, a Pathfinder mom thought of her cousin Deb when she heard about me…her cousin Deb is my saint nurse navigator I’ve talked about. Jodi, one of my Pathfinder moms thought of a friend at work she wanted me to meet…that would be Gaby who is friends with other friends of mine and I already spoke with on the phone…so weird!


Patti has officially denied posting the letter at the Elwha. So someone else speaks for the salmon. I love you salmon rep!

Hope you Seattle-ites have enjoyed this morning's thunder storm as much as I have!
Hope you KC folk have a great time at the park today and the Gilroy's continue your fun up in Chillicothe!
I'm thinking of you.
Love to you all, near and far!
Janet


5 comments:

  1. Oy! I had a version of that dream last week. Moments to go before the school year started, and I couldn't find my room. In a panic, I called the office to ask, in a whisper, what my room number was. When I walked in I had double the amount of students, all sitting at long banquet tables, kids to grownups, looking quite expectant. I had no idea what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dreamed about your salmon letter. Janet you are on mind and I sure do love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - I can finally post.
    Love works in mysterious ways!!
    Keep kicking butt Janet.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...I just wrote an hilarious post and it vaporized. Damn. What I was saying is this: Missa and Janet, those are NOT nightmares. Those are typical school anxiety dreams that all 83,000 WEA members have regularly and you, Ms Janet, may not blame melatonwhateverthefuckitis called for that dream. A nightmare would be that your students walk in and they are zombies and they start eating off your faces. Or maybe that you get to school NAKED (only a nightmare for women over a certain age). Just saying. Janet, I volunteer to exercise with you hairy or bald. God knows you walked me while I was bald a zillion times. Walk date next week? Only if you feel up to it. Yeah, the port thing is weird. Sorry those seat belt dealies are so warm and fuzzy. Maybe in the fall. LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete