Thursday, January 5, 2017

Keytruda did not work for me.
When we saw Dr. Kaplan he had only seen the summary and talked with the scan folks briefly, so we don't know a lot of details, but the bottom line is the tumors are bigger. In both my lungs and liver the tumors have grown. I don't know yet if there are new tumors in other parts of my body.
The plan is to start treatment next Friday: taxol and cyramza.
I'll have taxol (a chemo that has been around for awhile) once a week for three weeks and then a week off.
I'll have cyramza week one and three of that cycle. They are both given by infusion through my port. For the first couple of weeks I'll have to take some steroids.
Dr. Kaplan says taxol is fairly well tolerated. I'll most likely have peripheral neuropathy. I will probably lose my hair and maybe have some rashes and mouth sores.
He says cyramza is most likely very well tolerated.
If you google cyramza it actually says gastric cancer, which most chemos and treatments never call it out specifically. It is less prevalent in the US so we hardly ever see drugs for this cancer specifically. "Luckily" (??????) it is quite prevalent in China and Japan so there is a lot of research out there.

Anyway...back to work.
I feel like it can't be as bad as xeloda...and I lived to tell that tale! So, I'm ready to shrink those tumors!
Thanks for your love and support
Janet

19 comments:

  1. Sweet Auntie J... so sorry that it didn't work for you! I had such high hopes. So sorry you have to go through the treatment again and hopefully it is much better then last time around! Sending as many healing thoughts as I can muster. We love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jamie.
      I am resolved!! I am kicking it out of me! I love you, too! Hugs to you and yours.
      Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Janet. Dear Janet. It's not what we hoped for. But we will keep up with the hoping because this is you and you are one of the most hopeful humans I know. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, my heart just got sad with this news....sigh.... I'm sorry that the outcome wasn't what we had hoped/dreamed/yearned for. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this. You shine so brightly and I know you have fierce strength and tenacity for this next experience. Continuted prayers of healing. I have my candle lit for you and will each evening from now on. Let me know if you want some company while you receive your medicine. Love, light and hugs. Marcy (mark, marley and malia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You four have a powerful positive force! I feel it. Love to you all!

      Delete
  4. Dang it! I was so hopeful for different news than this. I'm sorry you have to go through chemo again. Our most positive and healing thoughts are being sent your way. Lots of love to you from the Woodwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! Thanks for all your support! Please send my love to those two cuties...well Megan's pretty cute too! Love to you all

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry. We're sending love and hope. The Meyers

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear Janet,(I will NOT call you by your college nickname) I am so glad I connected and am so devastated to read about your long journey with cancer. I fucking hate cancer. Now that I have found you, I will remain. All my love and thoughts are with you for the most positive outcome!!!! love you bunches-Lynn (aka big red :-) PS check out the pic I just messaged you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reaching out, Lynn and a special thank you for letting my nickname go unspoken, haha!!!! Oh my, those really were the days! I'm so happy to reconnect. I remember you as such a fun, positive person! Love that pic you posted!!! We knew how to have fun. You are making me laugh out loud just thinking back!! Lots of love, Lynn!

      Delete
  7. No, no, no!! I am so sorry that the Keytruda did not do its job. You are a strong woman and we know that you can kick the tumors out with the right tools. I was just thinking about you and what a wonderful teacher you were to Kelton (as I work on the parent essays for his HIGH school applications). We adore you and we'll be sending you all kinds of tumor shrinking and healing thoughts. XOXO The Hisatomi family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keytruda, it turns out, was not the key. Damn. I was on taxol. It wasn't as bad as some AND it was tolerated by my body. I LOVE you. We LOVE you. May 2017 bring you more cozy times with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you, Janet!
    I'll keep lighting candles for you! Thank you for your updates. You are in good hands with Dr. Kaplan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I had hoped for better news! I am sorry you have to do more chemo but will be praying and sending positive thoughts. Love your resolve and love you! Kick some cancer butt!👍💗

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Sending you light and love. I'm glad that these chemos are considered relatively well-tolerated. I know I just met you last summer, but you guys' visit was a real highlight of the year! Just thinking of you makes me smile.
    xoxox
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your support and love. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well shit. This isn't the news we have been hoping for. So, here is to 2017. A new year. Renewed hope and a whole lotta strength and love coming your way! The Hanulik Family

    ReplyDelete