Thursday, January 26, 2017

Change of Schedule
When I saw Dr. Kaplan this morning, after my blood draw, I learned that my white blood count was just a little too low for me to have chemo today. SURPRISE! Now this becomes my week off. We just skip this infusion and next week start with Week 2 Round 1.

My new insurance won’t cover the better, longer lasting blood boosting shot, Neulasta, that I used to get. (I’m seeing Neulasta adds on TV and just have to wonder how much they jacked the price to cover those adds???? Just sayin’) As I was fuming, my nurse, Angie, who is absolutely lovely, assured me that overall she is happy with Premera, this is one item that is tricky. OK, one tricky item, I’m not gonna get all huffy and go ballistic; there are other options.

That started with a shot of Grantix right into the wibbly bits of my belly. I’ll go in a day before treatment next week to get another shot so that I’ll be nice and strong to take on the chemo. I’m hoping to avoid having to give myself a daily shot at home, I really, really do not want to do that!  I asked my comedian doctor about guidelines for my health, he advised me not to visit any leprosy centers. But, seriously, I’m taking it easy, keeping my diffuser running, drinking fluids and sending anyone who walks into the house directly to wash their hands. I’ve sent out a container of wipes to the car with Mike so he can wipe down the steering wheel and phone every day. Poor Mike, I’m watching The Crown on Netflix and trying not to pick up any habits from Her Majesty! Also, now I want to stop using the word lovely, they use it so much in the 1960’s in England. I am aware I used it in the last paragraph.  An old habit, bother!

So I was set free a little early today on my week off and “celebrated” by visiting two of the yummiest places in West Seattle. First I picked up a pear danish at Bakery Nouveau. The twice baked chocolate croissant is my usual favorite, but I’m off chocolate, not to my liking these days. I took it to go and will make it last at least 2 or 3 days. Then, in broad daylight, just about noon, ordered a peppermint malt at Husky Deli.  Their Chocolate Orange is my usual Husky choice, but again…chocolate. I got a little ice cream for my good neighbor Lizzie, too! I’ll make this malt last days, as well. Just a few sips did me in today.

Food has been tricky. My tummy is grumbly, I’m eating soup and well cooked food. I make myself have a salad on good days for many reasons but many whole grain foods are just too tricky for my tummy. I eat bits across the day with the goal of good protein and healthy food. And, yes, some treats as well!

Lots of unnecessary babble, but I have to take steroids the morning of my chemo, at home, so I did, and I think I have just a little extra energy. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

With Love and Strength

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment