Thursday, July 23, 2015

Thank you all for your supportive and loving texts and emails. I'm not responding to most as I'm a little overwhelmed today...

Last night the meds did nothing as far as I could tell. I could not get comfortable in any position, too much pressure in my chest, and did not sleep a wink. I lasted until 4:00 when I roused a sleeping Mike and said its time. It was reminiscent of going into labor.  He jumped up all groggy and was ready to go! I talked him down a bit, I really did not need 911 and insisted we not call. He even took Gertie and Wilson around the block and let Gertie inside Betty's house (Betty is out of town).  We were on the road by 4:30. Just the right amount of traffic that time of day!  We came to Swedish first hill because that is where dr. Kaplan hangs out. We were pleased to find out he had already ordered me a room so we got to go right upstairs, no time wasted in the emergency room. I think I was in my room by 5:00!

Dr. Kaplan came in about 6:00 and shortly after that I sent Mike home to get some more sleep as really nothing was going to happen for a while. Here is what has happened: an EKG, an echocardiogram, port access, blood draws, 2 servings of lasix through my port to get the fluids out and lots of trips to the bathroom. I also have a new friend, Dr. Hauck, the cardiologist.

Here's the scoop. The epirubicin damaged my heart even though I was given less than the limit of that chemo...why? Who knows? My first symptoms were on the flight from New York to Seattle but I think the flight just exacerbated what was already going to happen. They are looking for blood clots but there have been no signs. So my heart is not strong enough to push the fluids through my system, fluids build up, it feels awful, like a weight on my chest or wrapped around my ribs. My legs feel like I'm trying to move logs and I'm out of breath with just a walk across the room, especially if I try to talk at the same time.

So after two rounds of lasix and lots of peeing I already feel so much better.

Here's the plan. I've always had really good blood pressure, even through both pregnancies and I still do under these conditions, but in order to help my heart pump properly and interrupt the process that is causing the problem I have to go on two kinds of blood pressure medicine. I will be going to an outpatient cardiology clinic that will help me through the diet and exercise to get better  and stay better.

So that is my heart.
Now for the cancer. Today I told Dr. Kaplan that I really did not want more chemo...duh...and he'll check into radiation which would have little to no side effects. But first we have to get the heart back up and running! This is totally treatable and that is just what we'll do...treat it, manage it, and get on with life!

Im posting this from my iPad and in this imperfect world the page is not letting me scroll up to correct a few things at the beginning of the post...oh well...such is life and technology.

Thanks again for all your best wishes!
With love,
Janet


1 comment: