Friday, March 6, 2015

Scan results….another scan…
Yesterday I had an echocardiogram and a CT scan. Typically, but not every time, Dr. Kaplan will call us the evening of the scan and give us the good news. This has been the case for the last 3 scans. Last night there was no phone call. Dr. Kaplan had told us he doesn’t always get the results in time to make that call, so no call does not mean bad news, but…it was a little tricky last night waiting for the call, not getting it and then remaining positive. But, we did ok.

This morning the first thing he said was that he purposefully didn’t call because the scan was inconclusive. He said there is definitely no growth, so that is the big good news. There is still no detectable cancer in the stomach or pancreas. It’s the liver that is giving them pause. He said there was great debate about my liver. Again, no growth detected but they cannot tell if the tumors have shrunk and they won’t give a definitive number of tumors on the liver. So, he has ordered a PET scan. My insurance will take about 4-5 days to approve this so I am scheduled for a PET scan next Thursday. We’ll meet with Dr. Kaplan later that same day to hear the results.

The down side of this is having to wait. But there are more upsides. First of all I really needed a break from chemo and there is no treatment scheduled until after the results of the PET scan. Yesterday was the first day I started feeling ok since my last chemo almost 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, all of a sudden it was like a curtain lifted and I began to realize just how bad I had been feeling. Last night I was finally able to go to pilates class with Maggie which I’ve been trying to get to for months! Overall I’d been lacking energy and fighting a cold and sore throat. I’ve been struggling with a very sore mouth, a blood blister on the inside of my cheek and my tongue has been on fire. I called Dr. Standish and have been rinsing with glutamine. Today Dr. Kaplan gave me liquid dexamethasone to swish. I do believe the Xeloda targeted my mouth this time instead of my hands, feet and gut. Dr. Kaplan seemed to agree. Specifically, he said, “You and Xeloda will not cross paths again.”  You better believe it!!

Another upside is that the PET scan will give us so much more detail. I think there will be definitive information about cancer (or lack of it) in my stomach and pancreas. I think they’ll be able to tell if  the cancer in the liver has shrunk enough to be removed surgically. It will be worth the wait and in the meantime, if I can kick this cold, I’ll have a week to feel good! Woo Hoo!!

We were so focused on the PET scan and liver that Dr. Kaplan failed to mention and we failed to ask about the echocardiogram. I’m assuming my heart is just fine or he would have mentioned it. We’ll find out for sure next week.


On a different note….
I’m just so very tired of hats and have never been comfortable going out bareheaded. For some unknown reason, I just thought I would not wear and did not need a wig. I think it goes along with me never dying my hair and going without makeup. I just am who I am and there you have it. I decided I should at least go look at wigs, as I am so very tired of hats! Betty set it all up for me and on Wednesday Betty, Lindy and I went to a spot in Greenwood. The very first wig I put on looked a bit like my old hair (and by old hair, I mean young hair) and it made me cry. Have you ever gotten something you didn’t know you needed until you got it?  Well, I needed a wig. Today Mike and I picked it up. Between me finally feeling better and then HAVING HAIR I felt like a million bucks! 

So, I’m going to have a good week and wear my hair when it suits me!
I hope you have a good week, too!
Lots of love and good hair days to you!
Janet


5 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better Auntie J. And that's some good news and hoping for more next week : )

    Wig or no wig you are beautiful. We miss you. Sending hugs from Colorado!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah, thank you wee Jamie! Sending lots of love back your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Janet! So much good news! I can't wait to see your new wig! Big love and hugs from all the Gluckmans!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been trying so hard to get on here--it's pretty damn far away. This sounds like great progress and I'm staying positive, while I turn to the next post...

    ReplyDelete