Thursday, March 12, 2015

Such Good News!
It’s been a long day but I want to share our good news. We checked in at 10 this morning for the PET scan. The whole routine took until 12:30. Then Mike and I headed to S. Lake Union for lunch and to spend some time in the sunshine waiting for our appointment at 3:20. We, of course, arrived back at Swedish early and eager to hear the results.

It’s good news! The PET scan shows no active cancer on my stomach or pancreas…that is no cancer on my stomach or pancreas! I really can’t believe it! There is one spot on the liver that has active cancer. He could not tell me the size because he had not yet received the written report (I’ll call tomorrow for a copy). All the little satellite spots show no active cancer!! It is quite unbelievable. It is surreal in such a good way versus how surreal the initial diagnosis felt.

The plan is 2 more rounds of chemo (Epirubican and oxylaplatin…NO XELODA!) and then if it is not yet in remission (first time he ever said the R word!!!), then he wants to explore the possibility of radiation. I’ll get 4 weeks in-between these rounds of chemo because our trip to Kansas City gets right in the way of my 3 week schedule. So, I’ll get to go to Kansas City on the extra 4th week and hopefully be feeling pretty good!

Now the down side…Gastric cancer is one of the kinds of cancer that can come back. There is no specific way to keep it away, no drugs, no magic. I will go through some naturopathic IV treatments with Dr. Standish. But Dr. Kaplan says the best you can do is be healthy; eat healthy, exercise, limit alcohol and keep your weight down. So tonight, to celebrate our good news, Maggie and I are headed to pilates!

Thank you all for your love and support. I just can’t imagine going through all this without you and I know I would not be strong enough to beat this mother f-er on my own!! (pardon my french :-)

Enjoy this beautiful evening, take some deep breaths and be thankful for your health!
love to you all!

Janet

10 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! So awesome Auntie J!!!!!!!!

    Love you so much!!!! Sending big hugs and kisses from Colorado!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAN-EFFING-TASTIC!!! (excuse my French, too) Sooooo glad to hear your continued good news! Woohoo! and yay for the extra week between treatments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! We are so happy for you!! Can't wait to give you big hugs and kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! So awesome Auntie J!!!!!!!!

    Love you so much!!!! Sending big hugs and kisses from Colorado!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! So glad I peeked in to see how things were going. Blessings upon you, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. I'm just going to say it. Fanfuckingtastic. There. Take that, gastric cancer. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Celebrating this awesome news with a healthy and beautiful walk on the beach this morning in honor of you!
    Hugs and high fives to you!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing the happy dance. Picture that in slippers and fuzzy robe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Janet. Keith and I are sitting here outside our hotel in Singapore in tears. I ... Well ... Words just fail me. But our hearts are full and we are happy. Do that stuff we all need to do so we will have the best chance for long healthy lives. And, Janet, be happy. You so richly deserve it. You can see how many people love you and are made stronger by knowing you.

    ReplyDelete