Monday, March 14, 2016

We’re calling it good news

Today was scan day, always a day to practice our breathing and incorporate our anxiety reducing techniques. I’m telling you, it can be a stressful series of events.

Overall it went well.

First of all it was not a crowded day at Swedish, we had pretty swift service in all departments. I checked in and got my “yummy” banana drink to glug down. Then I had a blood draw and my port accessed for the dye they inject to do the scan. We had to wait a bit, for the banana drink to make it’s way down the track and then I headed back for the CT scan. I just had 4 or 5 runs through the machine and then out the door. 

Mike and I decided to celebrate Pie Day with lunch at Serious Pie. We shared a pizza with a delicious nettle pesto  and a really yummy creamy fresh mozzarella. Then, again, being pie day and all, we shared a piece of coconut cream pie. I’ll just say it was NOT Yucky and helped a great deal with the stress and anxiety of waiting for the scan results!

We had some time after lunch and we spent it in some comfy chairs in the Starbucks Experience, I nearly fell asleep as fatigue has been my most recent battle.

So back to the doc, it’s a little complicated. 
Let’s talk about the left lobe of the liver:
In January there was no cancer to be seen, they saw some cysts which are not cancerous. In February, when we had the mapping for the Y90 the radiation doctors saw cancer in the left lobe…that was when we freaked out. Now, the CT scan show no change since January, it shows cysts and no cancer. But the CT scan and the radiation camera are two different tools. So, while we were in the office Dr. Kaplan called Dr. Andrews and they have a plan to look at all the films and talk in the next day or so and figure out the discrepancies. Then he will call me.

But be they cysts or be they cancer cells the truth is they have not changed since January, so that is a good thing. We think that I’ll have a pass for 2 more months, we’ll look again and see what we see. So a pass for 2 more months means I get to go back to work and I’ll get to go to KC for spring break. So, like I said, we are calling it good news!

Now to the right side: Dr. Kaplan said those tumors actually look bigger but it is hard to imagine that it is anymore than an inflammatory reaction to the radiation, so he is not worried about that. We’re just going to give the right lobe of the liver more time to heal

And now back to healing from radiation:
Last Monday I blogged and I was starting to experience some pain. I ended up with a pretty miserable week full of pain. By mid week the pain had increased quite a bit. I was having trouble finding any meds to touch it. Most over the counter pain relievers I tried lasted only 2 hours, I got a prescription for hydrocodone and had the itchy reaction I had previously to oxycodone. I tried other 2 other prescriptions as well. I went 3 nights with very little sleep. It was a rough week. The pain has finally decreased and I found the right combination to take care of what’s left. Most importantly I’m back to sleep but now the fatigue has wrapped itself around me like a blanket. I am so dozy. I start out in the morning feeling good, but afternoons I just want to close my eyes and curl up.


Therefore, we decided today that I really cannot go back to work in 2 days. Oh, I could probably DO IT, but I'm still using pain pills and I'm seriously worried I might fall asleep on the job and get tied up like Gulliver by my little Lilliputians.  So, I’m taking just 4 more sick days to get past the pain and fatigue. That will get me a weekend and a Monday. I plan to go back Tuesday the 22nd. In the meantime, I’ll be resting and recovering and doing that with a little less stress knowing that I have the next 2 months!

On another note, I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned that Michael has been turning bowls with his dad and has the bug. Last night the kids were over for dinner and Maggie and Eva started the marketing campaign for Oliver Bowl Co. We have an Instagram account (oliverbowlco) check us out. I lobbied loud and long for “all of her bowls” instead of Oliver bowls…no one thought it as cute and funny as I did. I thought it was hilarious!

Ok, I am well past nap o’clock and going to hold out for a really early bed time.
I’ll let you know when Dr. Kaplan gets back to me if any of this news changes, but for now. Happy Pie Day!

Love to you all
Janet

7 comments:

  1. Big deep sighs of love and continued healing. We cannot wait to see you next week. Thank you for the great update. Glad you fully enjoyed the eating part of Pi day :). Candle is shining bright every single night sending all the beautiful white healing light possible!!!! Your attitude is so amazing. Thank you for being such a great role model to us all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Marcy Grantor and can imagine the vibes perfectly around dinner and setting up the Etsy shop... Jealous... Makes me want to apparate directly to Seattle to your comfy house. Soonnnn...

    So sorry to hear about the pain. :( :( :( :( but glad it seems the worst has passed. Radiation is THE WORST. Yay for a 2 month break! Sending all my love and sunshine from Ecuador!! Headed to the beach today & thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was hilarious Janet. All of her bowls. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lashanna, thank you! You get me!!
    Marcy, I miss you and Marley so much, hugs to you both!
    Nora, have a great trip and be safe out there. We can't wait for you to be a part of our dinner vibe once again, you are an important part of our family! Love to your mom and dad and sister.

    And to all, I aim for accuracy on this blog. I meant Pi day, yes I did, but really, in the end, maybe Pie day was more accurate for my day.
    xoxoxo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sweet Auntie J. Lots to digest from this post!!!

    I am so sorry you had to deal with the constant pain. That on top of everything else is exhausting and explains your tiredness so please rest and take it easy!

    I absolutely love "all of her bowls"!!! So funny and clever!! I would have sided with you! I love the bowls they are making!! They are so cool! As you know I am a salesmen born and bread so how can I help??? I also want to buy a bowl!! How do I buy one?

    Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bred not bread!! Lol auto correct

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well maybe you want a bread bowl!!
    The kids are doing all the marketing and the Etsy site management, see if this link works:

    www.etsy.com/shop/OliverBowlCo

    and you can follow on instagram: OLIVERBOWLCO and there is a link from there for sure.

    And thank you...all of her bowls is hilarious! Of course most everyone involved has the last name of Oliver; that could explain their hesitation to find the humor! Ha! Maybe they have heard it all too often!!

    More inventory to follow soon, keep checking the website until there is a bowl that speaks to you!

    And thank you for all the love and encouragement, Jamie! It helps.
    xoxoxoox
    love you, wee Jamie!
    Auntie J

    ReplyDelete