Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Feeling Much Better, Thank You!
I am feeling much better. I slept well Monday night and woke up Tuesday a different person. One really cannot overestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. My sinuses have a bit of a different story to tell, but mostly, I’m good!

I’m not sure when/if I mentioned this before but the Pathfinder staff has been super generous in donating sick leave to me. On my own, my sick leave would have been used up as of yesterday and I would be going on long term medical disability with a cut in pay and a need to pay for more health care (that’s right, you get sick and you get paid less but have to pay more….I get it!). But, because of the generosity of my teacher friends, I am now covered through the rest of the school year (or just a few day shy, i’m not sure). That means my deferred pay and full benefits will carry through September! Isn’t that amazing. I feel super lucky, super blessed, super relieved that full benefits  and a full pay check are continuing. Less stress means more energy for healing. So a deep and heartfelt thank you to my teacher friends, you are most generous!! Today, as a tiny way to thank them, I made a trip to Starbucks, picked up 3 boxes of coffee, brought along the 3 boxes of cookies from Trader Joe’s I’d purchased last week, and took it all up to the Pathfinder staff room. It was great to have a few minutes to see staff I love, then I made my way down to the Sky Hall while the K/1 kids were trickling in. I spent a little time in each room there and it felt like a perfect baby step back into that world. If I stay healthy I’d like to do that more often. I miss my community!

We have our tickets for Ireland! Staring fate right in the face we are leaving the exact same date we were supposed to leave last year, July 1. We have tickets for Maggie, Mike and me and I’ll be working on saving up sky miles in hopes to nab Michael and have him join us, too, if he is available. We’ll see. We are spending most of the time on the West coast, a number of days with Maggie’s family in Limerick and then again on the coast in Kilkee. We hope to spend a night on Grandpa’s Island, if that works out. Then we’ll end up in Dublin where we will overlap with Mike, Gillian, and Conor for a few days. I am both cautious and confident in my excitement for this vacation! Cancer sure has me walking many fine lines!

Thank you all for your support and best wishes after my last very depressing and tragic post. I appreciate your emails, comments, texts. I’m checking in with my mom and they are getting through this, of course.

It feels a little like spring out there, hope you get a chance to enjoy.
More love and less stress to all of you

Janet

5 comments:

  1. Just today I had the opportunity to donate some of my sick leave to a co-worker. I'm so glad people are doing this for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing you're feeling better and that money is flowing and benefits are there :). Less stress = Good health and healing. You are so strong and have a contagious zest for life!!!! Thank you for sharing your journey. We'd like to see your face more at Pathfinder!!!!! Your Ireland trip sounds incredible!!!!
    Always cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing you're feeling better and that money is flowing and benefits are there :). Less stress = Good health and healing. You are so strong and have a contagious zest for life!!!! Thank you for sharing your journey. We'd like to see your face more at Pathfinder!!!!! Your Ireland trip sounds incredible!!!!
    Always cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcy
    thanks for your kind comments. As it turns out. just yesterday, I did spend a little more time In the Salmon Clan room during writing workshop, hopping around to as many wee ones as I could. Some of them i'd never really met. I got a chance to connect with Marley. We talked about her writing a bit, I asked her if she knew who I was, she did not, but then I said my name and her face lit up with recognition. I asked her to tell you hi for me. It was so lovely to spend a little moment with her. I'm going to try to get in there more often towards the end of my chemo cycles. I'd like to spend special moments with each of them, and every teacher knows that cannot be done in a day! They are adorable, compassionate and competent. Can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, Hello. I'm not sure why, but I just saw your comment for the first time. Thank you for writing to me. I'm so glad you felt good and strong and visited the kids. I know they are lucky to have you visit and hopefully it will be more often!!!! We think about you and pray for the cancer to be gone.....like NOW!!!! big hugs and healing energy to you!!!

    ReplyDelete