Friday, February 20, 2015

A pattern is emerging with me and cancer and chemo. It is really tricky to do things that I’ve done before that are fun, full of family, friends and life. I felt it very heavy on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, my birthday. On these days, during these events I just felt like I had to bolt from the scene. It happened again up on Orcas Island. We went out for lunch in East Sound and I just couldn’t handle it. I love the San Juan Islands and I so wanted to have a great time and I just had to escape. We ordered our lunch and I couldn’t do it. I felt claustrophobic and had to leave. Luckily, we had two cars and Mike of course came with me and my friends brought my yummy soup home to me. I immediately took an Ativan for anxiety and now I’ll try to remember to Ativan up whenever I’m in such a situation. What would you call that, a situation that should be extra fun and celebratory? A situation with happy baggage? I don’t even know….Damn, Cancer really does suck!

I realized after yesterday’s post that I left off some other important things I do at home, and as long as I am documenting my daily habits, I may as well be comprehensive.
So in addition to all of that…

Each day prior to breakfast I take a probiotic that was suggested to me by Dr. Standish. We’re all hoping that is part of what will protect my gut through this xeloda.
Also prior to breakfast and dinner I take 2 or 3 Turkey Tail mushroom capsules. These were also suggested by Dr. Standish and she says there is evidence that it actually helps my chemo do its job! My chemo has been quite effective…so yea for Turkey Tail mushrooms.

Also, nearly every day I have a diffuser running (thanks to my sister) with some combination of essential oils. Today I am diffusing eucalyptus and lavender…a lovely combination.

I also read and love, not daily, but frequently, The Book of Awakening by Mark Nepo. I know I’ve quoted from this book before. I find a great deal of inspiration from this book.

Finallly, I try, try to keep up my exercising. I have been off the wagon for a few weeks after that last chemo, the Xeloda kept me down a bit, then I was hit with a cold. I continued to walk Wilson once a day through that, but not our long power walks, just a poop and lets get back to the couch walk.  Now I’m back on Xeloda but I’m going to give it a college try today. Maggie has been taking my place at pilates these last 6 weeks and next week I’m going to make an attempt at going with her. It will be a big step, I have not been there since I was diagnosed. All my pilates friends much have thought I just stayed in Ireland! Time to get strong! I know that it is essential to beating cancer so exercise I must!

And now for a correction…I said we were leaving for Ireland this year the same day we were scheduled to leave last year. I was off by one day…we were scheduled to leave June 30 and arrive on July 1. This year we leave July and arrive on July 2


A thank you to my wee Pathfinder friends who sent me my yearly valentine bag of goodies! What a sweet thing to arrive home to last Friday…broth from Jenni and Valentines from kids and families…thank you!

Two blog posts two days in a row...I've got to get busy finishing up the details for our Ireland plans...suppose I'll need some Ativan for that trip!
love you all
Happy Friday
Janet

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you Janet and sending love from Indonesia. Glad you are surrounded with love and are learning to make your way through the rhythms of your treatment. And so happy you will make another go to Ireland! That's exciting. Look forward to reading about it. Your positive energy is more inspiring than ever.

    Love,
    Amy and Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you Janet and sending love from Indonesia. Glad you are surrounded with love and are learning to make your way through the rhythms of your treatment. And so happy you will make another go to Ireland! That's exciting. Look forward to reading about it. Your positive energy is more inspiring than ever.

    Love,
    Amy and Patrick

    ReplyDelete