Monday, January 12, 2015

Another chemo down…That makes 8 so far…

Last Tuesday we went in for chemo #8, fairly uneventful. I get a scan on January 22, before the next chemo, so at this appointment there was not a lot to talk about. All my what if questions can just wait until the next scan results. This was more a keep on keepin’ on kind of meeting with Dr. Kaplan. We did discuss xeloda but like everything else, we are just going to wait to see the scan results before we change anything. So…waiting for the scan on the 22nd and the results on the 23rd…until then…

You know I put word out that we were open for a dog. We ended up applying to a couple of rescue organizations and even went and met a sad little pup  one rainy night, but then we kind of put it back on the back burner. We would wait until a dog showed up, just like Bear and Rudy did. If it was meant to be it would happen, I did not want to go out dog shopping anymore. It was too depressing, exhausting and time consuming!

Many of you know my match making friend, Debbie. She takes 1/2 the credit (Jennifer Annable gets the other 1/2) for matching me and Mike way back when. Two days after Christmas Debbie texted and emailed me about a dog her sister, Nancy found. Nancy lives in Yakima, is a nurse and has 2 service dogs. On Christmas Eve, Nancy’s husband and their daughter found a dog with a hurt leg in a ditch (in my mind it is snowing…not sure about that as a fact!). Being good people they bring him home, put him on craig’s list, go to the vet (no chip) and fall in love with him. He is a Jack Russell (mix?), boy, not fixed, maybe 2-3 years old and sweet as the day is long. Do we want him? They are not in a hurry, they love him so much they will just keep him until they find a good home.

First there is the logistics. We are not driving to Yakima to check out a dog. Really, we are just not driving to Yakima, not anytime soon, anyway! Debbie’s family is going back and forth from Seattle to Yakima a good deal these days taking care of her dad. Debbie’s brother, Peter,  who happens to be a veterinarian, will bring “Santa” over on his next trip. This last Friday, after many texts, emails and photos between Nancy and Debbie and me, and many changes of the dogs name (how many dogs have you named before they were even yours? Plenty I’m sure!), Wilson arrived in Seattle. Saturday morning, Mike and I were invited to brunch and a chance to meet Wilson (yes, that would be Jack Russell Wilson!). The rest is history! Debbie and Jeff fed us a lovely brunch, we had a dog love fest and took Wilson home. He is a love. I want to get him a t-shirt that says “I live to snuggle!” He is perfect (Well, he will be after a trip to the vet and a  snip-snip here or there).  When we are up on the couch with a blanket, he springboks up and then immediately nuzzles his nose looking for the corner of the blanket to crawl under the covers with us. Oh, my! This little one was made to order!!
Right now he is sitting up on the back of the couch watching the finches at the bird feeder~I call that kitty-dog! He is good with Gertie and with all the kids he's met so far. He barks once as an alert and then stops. He does not beg...practically perfect in every way!
Thank you Debbie, you have made a perfect match again!!

I must go, I'm quite sure it is time to snuggle!
Love to you all
Janet



9 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! What an adorable little love! He is one lucky puppy to stumble into your family. I've got an enormous grin on my face! Glad to hear that #8 was uneventful. Hope you are feeling well and only continue to get better (as usual) over your 3-wk routine. I've been thinking about you a lot lately! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finster says Hi to Wilson - she thinks he is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling pretty good this week... maybe it's dog love! Tell Finster hi and that, yes, he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kramer wants to party with Wilson after he gets snipped...or before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just saw your comment today on my blog when I updated it for the first time in a while. Email me at cancerinyouthirties@gmail.com if you'd like to be in touch. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A match made in heaven! And perfect name- Go Hawks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wilson's appointment is tomorrow...we just let him get settled a little and then....wham-o...
    so after a little recovery time we'll be looking for playdates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Janet. Wilson is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cutie! May he shower you with snuggles galore! Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete