Monday, November 17, 2014

BBBBBRRRRRRR…that was cold!

I’m back to our balmy 50 degree weather! It was so cold in KC! When the wind blew it was that biting, stinging dry cold. My skin was dry, my sinuses complained….yikes! But, it’s not about the weather, right? 

I had a great trip and I’m so glad I went. I saw all my aunties, many cousins and both my nieces that live in KC. I got to catch up with Mig, a close friend from high school, hung out with my brothers, Paul and Matthew,  but mostly hung out with my momma, which was the main goal of the trip.

We went to the movie, went to eat BBQ and hear live blues/jazz, watched Matt bowl in his Saturday morning league and I cooked a couple of times for Mom and Matt. 

A highlight of my trips to KC is when my aunts gather and any cousins who can, join in. These gatherings used to be held religiously on Sunday morning at a nearby park for tennis and then to Dairy Queen. Relatives would come and go during these regular Sunday morning events. At DQ, no matter what you ordered, it was in your best interest not to think of it as yours, as in yours alone. You really had to think of it as belonging to the group. You might get the lions share of your order (or not) but you would definitely end up sharing pretty much anything you brought over to the tables! If you really wanted it all to yourself, you needed to find another part of the restaurant to consume your food or beverage. On any given Sunday there could be anywhere from 6-30 people at a time at the DQ.  Back in those days mom said no one was willing to host that many people.

Sadly the DQ closed its doors a number of years ago and the group tried a few other venues. Then mom and her sisters hung their racquets up, no more need to meet at the park. And now the event has morphed into their Wednesday meetings. In the past, when I booked tickets for KC I always had to have a full Sunday there so I wouldn’t miss the DQ experience, now I have to make sure I’m there on Wednesdays.

The Wednesday meetings are held at Starbucks in a nearby mall. Luckily, in the back, the Starbucks has a big table where they usually congregate. This past Wednesday there was one man at the table working on his computer. Instead, we put together tables outside the door of the Starbucks, in the mall, and moved chairs out to accommodate our group.
Mom and I were there, of course, as were mom’s 3 sisters. One of their best friends since Kindergarten, Eileen, was there, too! My cousin Linda has changed her work schedule so she can usually be there, and she was. My cousin Susan drove from Lyons, Kansas just to join us that day. My niece Jennifer took the day off to be with me and mom, and one of her best friends joined us, too. My cousin Julie took a long lunch so she could be there. I think that’s everyone….did I forget anyone? It was a middle of the week party and I swear we sat there for 3 or 4 hours! 

Sunday before heading to the airport my cousin Julie had folks over for tortilla soup and to watch the Seahawks win (oh well, maybe next time!). I was able to catch up with a few more cousins there. I really do have an amazing and interesting family and I miss them very much! It is always a treat to spend time with you all! Thanks, for such a warm welcome home!


It was hard for everyone to see how healthy I am and believe the battle that is going on inside me. I look pretty healthy and I think if I had all my hair, no one would even guess I am fighting cancer. I tried to emphasize to my relatives, and will repeat it here…I really do think there is a genetic link some where. The tests they ran do not show a link, but that does not mean it isn’t there. They just haven't identified that link yet. It’s hard to believe that I was so healthy; exercising and eating so healthy in recent years. It’s easy to think the cancer might be caused by something I did…but I don’t think so. My moms maternal grandpa and uncle had stomach cancer…both of them…and stomach cancer is pretty unusual! So, I say this not to scare you, but to remind you to mention this to your doctors when you see them, especially if there is weird stomach things going on for you or another odd things you cannot figure out.  And, if I find anymore out about a genetic link (because I will continue that search) I’ll be sure to let you know!

I miss KC and all of my relations there! I’ll be thinking of you and counting you as a blessing this holiday season!

Now...back to Seattle and back to cancer. Thursday is my scan and Friday I'll find out the results. Until then, I'm feeling really good so I'm just going to have a great week and then pick up from there on Friday!

Hope it is sunny where you are...it is a beautiful day here!
love to you all
xoxoxo
Janet


2 comments:

  1. Welcome home! Glad you had such a nice trip with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you ! You are so positive and I know in my heart you are going good to beat this, clobber it, and come out the winner!

    ReplyDelete