Sunday, August 20, 2017

August 20th

Hello everyone, Maggie here again. We wanted to update you on how my mom has been these past couple weeks or so. She has been on the decline. She needs support getting around the house and spends most of her days sleeping or just with her eyes shut. She’s not eating or talking much and gets confused at times. Michael, Eva, and I have been staying with my parents full time since last weekend. She is receiving support from our wonderful hospice team as well: nurse visits a couple of times a week, meetings with the social worker, and baths from her bath aid three times a week. Starting tomorrow, we will be receiving support from a long term care agency. As a family, we are not 100% sure how this is going to best work for us, but for this first week we are going to have someone stay with us through the night to help out when mom gets up to go to the bathroom. As school starts back up and we need to head back to work, we may switch to more of a day time schedule, we just don’t know yet. We know that this is hard to hear, and maybe not what some of you were expecting to read, but we agreed that it is important to be open and honest about what has been going on. My mom has loved keeping this blog, not only as a way to report on how she is doing, but as a way to vent, or rave, or otherwise express how she is feeling. I think that knowing so many are out there reading, supporting, and connecting with her has been so important. 

On another note, these two are celebrating 29 years of marriage today! 


I’ve heard that the cake was terrible, but the party was kick ass. I wish I could’ve been there. What I know for sure is that my parents were celebrating true, pure, unequivocal love that day. What an example they have been to us all! Happy 29 mom and dad!


21 comments:

  1. Thanks Maggie for the update. Give everyone a huge hug from all of us in Colorado. We love you all so much and if there is anything you need please make sure you let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maggie for keeping up your mom's blog. Their wedding day was lots of fun and I remember being so happy Janet found a wonderful man like Mike! Your family is foremost in my prayers and mind during this time. Love from Texas to all the O's and Betty too!
    Marsenađź’—

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a privilege to know the Janet and Mike family. The openness Janet has illustrated to the world is the gift I hold in my heart. Brendan and I have been and always will be inspired by Janet and Mike. Maggie and Michael are gifts to this planet as well. Peace and Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maggie. This must be so hard for you to write. I just checked the blog yesterday, as Janet is on my mind as she is so many others. There is a lot of love in this world for your mom. Happy Anniversary to your wonderful parents. They are phenomenal people and they made two lovely human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update. We are so sorry the news is not better. Janet was our first introduction into elementary school for our kids. We could not have asked for a better teacher for Kindergarten. Please tell her the twins are sending hugs and love and huge Thank Yous for being an amazing teacher for them. Oh, and remind her how much I appreciated when she put my husband in his place! All of our love to you Maggie and your brother and Dad and of course our dear Janet!! From the Hanuliks~ Pat & Jami and Riley & Makena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your time Maggie. Sending all kinds of love and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tough and honest update, Maggie. So much love to you and your family. Your mom guided us firmly and gently through K-1 with our quirky dude, Aran. Love to your Mom and all of you. And happy anniversary to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending your family love.
    -Cecelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing Maggie. We are sending soothing white light to hold and surround you all. We love you Janet❤️❤️❤️❤️ Mg4 ps wore your name proudly on my jersey all Obliteride weekend long. Hope you felt/feel the love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Maggie, love to your wonderful family ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    Jenny, Kirk, Sam and Ava Ancich

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie- I feel honored to have had your Mother teach both Jayla & Brooklyn. We all have very found memories in the Salmon Clan. As the girls got older, your Mom continued to talk to them in the hallways and give them hugs when she had a second to do so. She touched the lives of so many children and parents!! As you, your Brother & Father go through this difficult time, just remember how she has blessed so many others and will always be remembered! Janet is a one of a kind! We send our LOVE & HUGS to your Mom and to all of your family!
    Alisha, Jayla & Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you all, and I'm so glad you are able to be together. I promise to take extra special care of any Salmon/Spiders, no matter how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Anniversary to Mike and Janet! I am sure it was quite a day 29 years ago! You two are a real example of what love and deep respect looks like!
    I am so appreciative for Janet's blog over the years. Now that I am further away I check often. Know I am sending love and prayers. Your strength as a family is a tribute to the Mother you now serve! Such an amazing unit you Oliver's are. Hug Janet for me. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous bride. ❤️ Sending love to you, Maggie, to your mom, your dad, your brother and to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am just learning of this blog!! I look forward to reading past entries. Am keeping your entire family in my prayers, and the Machs would be honored to help how we can, please let us know and send hugs to Janet who holds such a special place in our hearts. Hang in there. Terese Machmiller (I have no idea why my profile says 'WSHS June First Friday Alumni Bash, will try to fix that)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Maggie. Love and hugs to your Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the update Maggie. You and your mom have touched our lives in so many ways. I wish Janet peace and comfort. We'll be holding all of you in our hearts. Much love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. Echoing all the prayers, love and support headed your way. Happy anniversary and I know that your mom and dad are so extremely proud of how great you and Michael are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love you Janet! Scott (Sunde) spoke for all of us when he said you are one of his heroes. And thank you Maggie for updating the blog. We are keeping you all in our thoughts, hearts and prayers.

    Natalie

    (BTW, I had to delete and repost cos I caught a grammatical error...I know Janet wouldn't approve. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those of us who have had the life-altering experience of sharing time with Janet will always carry a piece of her with us. Her spirit, grace, humor and strength will be a part of us forever. Sending our love to all of you! Amy, Josh, Liam and Ethan.

    ReplyDelete