Thursday, August 18, 2016

Mike and I went to meet the latest addition to our healing team; Dr. Yang, at the Swedish Pain Clinic. I liked him right off the bat, when I said that I thought my story was complicated and I’d just been talking to Mike about how to communicate without too many details. He said that most of the cases that make it to him are complicated ones, and he sat down ready to listen. He was a good listener. We spent about 45 minutes with him. He was thoughtful, asked lots of questions and seemed smart and caring (two attributes you really want in all of your doctors!).

The bottom line is he thinks it is muscular. He said with all my treatments and downtime, in spite of my best efforts at exercise, including pilates, that he thinks my core has been weakened and I tweaked some core muscles in perhaps more than one spot. Well, it kind of makes sense and it is also very confusing to me. What makes sense is that after my Y90 radiation I was pretty flat out of it for a bit and that is when the pain started. He said it would take an Olympic athlete just one month of no exercise to become like everyone else. So, a week on my back would make me pretty weak I suppose.  

What makes less sense to me is the intensity of the pain but I suppose that pain comes from muscle spasms after the initial back pain. I spent last night, and so far today, trying to be being mindful about keeping my back more relaxed. My mindfulness practice is certainly helping me. I'm doing lots of conscience breathing and dropping my shoulders down and back!

Going with the muscular theory he is recommending PT and massage, which I already do (now we'll have new marching orders). He has recommended a few more things that I may or may not include over time. He wants me to take it slow, pace myself (I’m only good at pacing myself when it comes to exercise, so that works!).  I need to build my core and loosen up my back, shoulder and neck muscles (I am pretty tight). He has also given me a muscle relaxer to take for pain. I feel a little wimpy thinking all this pain is from a tweak in my weak core, but at the same time, my body has been through a lot. I would tweak a muscle or two, too, if I was this body!



So, enough about pain. 

I am feeling no side effects from Keytruda. I am visualizing my immune system in there kicking cancer and taking care of business. I’ll have my next treatment in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'll be relaxing my back and building my core.

Lots of love to you and continued thanks for your love and support.
Janet

2 comments:

  1. Wimpy? I don't think so... Hooh! Everything you've been through. It has to go somewhere, right? All I know is once something gets tweaked - especially related to back/core parts - it seems like it can migrate all over the place, manifesting here, there and everywhere. Until sometime it maybe eventually calms down. I'm so glad you're not having side effects and that you like this new pain doc. I think of you often, especially when I'm using Insight Timer which I'm so glad you turned me onto. Did a guided meditation just now with Smokey looking on. Going to go to the garden in a little while to see if I can get a second planting of beets and lettuce going. I haven't had success with second plantings before, but every year is different so we'll see... Sending Love, xoxoxo Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet all the love and hugs. Your new treatment sounds so interesting. I'm grinning at you telling your immune system to go and kick that cancers butt.

    Kids have gotten their placement letters this week. Arielle is very excited that she will be an Octopus.

    -Cecelia

    ReplyDelete