Monday, March 20, 2017

Soon after I was first diagnosed with gastric cancer I had people from two different circles of my life telling me with urgency there was someone I needed to meet; Gaby. Jodi is the mom of one of my former students, Aran, and she worked with Gaby at Harborview. Glenda was a former student teacher of mine and a good friend of my friend Eddie. Gaby and Glenda had run a catering business together years ago and continued to be good friends. So they hooked us up and I had my first stomach cancer friend.

 I know I’ve mentioned Gaby on the blog more than once; she and her family were the force driving the fundraisers the last 3 years. Our cancers were very different; they were both gastric cancer, stage 4 but they were different kinds of cancer metastasizing in different ways. I’m so very sad to say Gaby passed on Friday. She was at home with her family at her side. 

Just the week prior Gaby was going to come visit me on Thursday the 9th. On Monday she let me know that she would not be able to make it. Things had taken a turn for the worse for her. Luckily I was feeling well enough by then to make the drive to Ballard so I went to visit her. I am so glad that I did. There was no question what was happening. Her time was just about up. I was unaware that some time ago Gaby had been told she had six months to live. She was the picture of peace and grace, she was as ready as one can be. Just by visiting her that day I know I learned some lessons.

Gaby was a force for good; a tiny woman with seemingly unlimited energy. She had been diagnosed with cancer about a year prior to me. She tried chemo once, I believe and knew it was not for her. She went on to take part in more than one clinical trial through Fred Hutchison and she did very well on Keytruda. It shrunk all the tumors in her liver (one of the reasons we were so hopeful about Keytruda…everybody’s body is different, for sure). Between and during these treatments Gaby went on to live her life. She traveled a great deal. She kept working full time up until recently, then cut back  and was working part time until maybe 2 weeks ago. She even went in just the week before last to tie up loose ends. She was a force and a ball of energy for all things good!

Yesterday we went to a gathering in her home with her husband Don and her 2 grown kids Ari and Miles. I was happy to meet some of  Gaby’s friends and her mom. I knew Gaby was a generous, patient, kind woman, and all of that was reinforced with more details of her life. It was a beautiful gathering. There will be a memorial later this spring.

I’m sure you can understand that there are no words for me to say how much I will  miss Gaby. We did not see each other alot, but we typically emailed once a week or so to check in on each other. She was a lovely, couragous, generous, caring friend.

updates

I had chemo last Monday and had the typical tired, kind of depressing days following chemo. I was feeling well enough to take Mike to have his meniscus surgery on Friday. When he was released to go home he was actually able to bear weight and has not needed crutches or even a walking stick. Friday night, due to all the local anesthesia he was doing great. Saturday and Sunday the stiffness and soreness set in. He did a great job of icing and elevating so I think he is doing as well as he could. He wants to be an un-patient patient but I try my best not to let him. He is wanting to start rehab and it is only 3 days after surgery. The doctor said 2 weeks rest for the knee and I made sure the doctor repeated that a few times. I still have to remind him it is NOT time for rehab. That knee needs some time to heal.

Today is one week from chemo and I woke feeling better than I have for months. Seems 1/2 dose might be a more reasonable dose for my system. And that thought of a whole week before chemo makes me so happy!

So we are well. Fighting the fight. Healing….healing…healing.

Thank you Lisa D for starting the meal train for us. This is perfect timing. And thanks to all the meal train contributors. We so appreciate you helping us while we are both trying to heal.

My love to you all
Janet

PS: I am unable to reply to my replies on previous posts. For awhile I could reply on my phone, now that doesn’t even work! So to those who have left comments. I thank you.

Marcia, it is so good to hear from you! I still am so very grateful for you for all you did to help Michael and Maggie at WSHS. I don’t know how they remain operational without you!! Hope you are enjoying retirement!

Shelly, hope that puffy coat is working out for you in Minneapolis! Hope you are well. We miss you!

Kathy, Thank you, we could definitely use some of your sunlight! Soak it up!

Thank you, Kay, I appreciate you keeping up with us! Hope you are well.

Marsena, Love you always, xoxoxoxo


And of course, xoxoxoxo to you and all of yours Jamie!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweet Auntie J I am so sorry to hear about your friend Gaby :( She sounds like such an amazing, wife, mother and friend. cry, laugh and remember her as the coming days go by.

    Tell Mike to take it easy. If he wants that to heal and last follow the doctors orders specifically. ��

    As for your last treatment I had been waiting to hear. I am glad you have found your correct dose and so happy that you are feeling much better.

    We miss you guys and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet. I think you know when I say I have no words to express what I want to say. I have wishes that you could have met Gaby under different circumstances, but well, here we are. What a beautiful tribute to such an incredible person. I am thrilled (?!) to know you saw visited her Monday. Her work day on Tuesday was quick and efficient and powerful and loving - just like her. I am sorry I missed you at the Shiva. I was there Saturday. I debated about calling you but was certain you would have heard through your more consistent channels. I apologize for not reaching out to you. Thinking of you as you mourn her. I look forward to seeing you in April at her service if not before. Healing vibes to you AND Mike. Love love love

    ReplyDelete