Monday, April 6, 2015


We had a fabulous weekend here. Michael and Eva drove up Friday night, Maggie came over to spend the night, and Betty was up. We had a delicious dinner with Halibut, Salmon, brussel sprouts, green beans and salad. We had a full house with everyone home and lots of good food! Just how I like it!

I have 2 wigs now. The one that you already saw a few posts ago and a new one that was gifted to me by the American Cancer Society. This 2nd one is a little more red and had a lot more hair; quite long and wavy, a little much for me. Along with the free wig, The American Cancer Society gives out a list of salons that will provide free shaves for people and free cuts and styling for the wigs. I made an appointment with Gary Manuel Salon downtown for Saturday. Betty, Maggie and Eva joined me and we had a nice girls afternoon out. We had lunch at the Macrina Bakery and Cafe on first avenue (yum!). We wandered around for a bit in Bell Town until it was time for the appointment.

My stylist name was Derek, what a generous soul. He welcomed all four of us. I was afraid there wouldn’t be room for 3 additional people, but there was and he made us feel comfortable right away. He looked at my scraggly, curly, patchy fluff on my head and asked what I wanted to do with “that” (in a very nice way). And I said I was just going to let it grow and he gave me a thoughtful “hmmmmmm?” which clearly meant “not a good idea!”. So I inquired what he thought I should do…just what I feared…shave it off. He gave us the rational, which made sense, even offered a private room and double checked when I started tearing up. I didn’t need a private room, I was OK,  I’d brought my people, my support with me and they were all nodding in agreement with Derek. Good bye fluffy scary puffy hair that looked like a demented old clown head! Let’s see what grows in this time!

After the shave (another buzz, not a slick shave) Derek taught us a lot about wigs: brushing, styling, cleaning and fitting. He was thoughtful, careful, funny and very dear and along with my supportive girls, helped me laugh my way through what could have been a very tough event for me. Derek let me know that anything else I might want to do in the future with my wig or my buzzed head would be free of charge and he would take good care of me. I hope I don't need him for wigs or buzzing,  but I do know I'll be taking my real hair for him to work on someday in the future! Thank You Betty, Maggie and Eva for taking such good care of me!
I’ll post a picture in that wig someday soon.

Love, hope and warm sunshine too you all!

Janet

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janet-
    Just checking in to let you know I am thinking of you and you are in my prayers. I also want to thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your writing is such a clear picture of what it's like for you (at least at the moment you are writing). It makes me feel so happy to hear about the generous souls in your life!
    All the Best,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Terri. I feel bolstered by those generous souls and yes, I have many and much to be grateful for!
    Hope you are all well.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Janet, this is such a sweet story. You have a keen eye for human character. And you bring out the best qualities in people!
    Derek sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete